What is the procedure in case of steering failure?
01 Sep '18, 16:55
- Inform Master.
- Change over the steering Motor.
- If steering not restored switch over/reboot control systems.
- Display Not Under Command lights or shapes as necessary.
- Sound Appropriate Sound Signals.
- Switch Over from Gyro to NFU.
- If still steering not under command then prepare to steer from the emergency steering gear.
- Slow down or stop the vessel if required.
- Issue a SECURITY message to all stations on VHF Ch.16 (156.8 MHz)
- Modify AIS status message to communicate relevant information.
- Check for the proximity of any navigational hazards.
- Fix and record the vessels position.
- Arrange additional manning to the Bridge if required.
- Communicate with the Engine Room as to the cause of the breakdown and the expected duration of any maintenance required prior to normal services being resumed.
- If the steering is impossible even in emergency mode consider the use of anchors, and call relevant manpower.
- Inform VTS or port authority if in controlled or similarly monitored waters.
01 Sep '18, 17:38