What actions should be carried out during Man Over Board?
02 Sep '18, 18:10
Firstly, check your Company Manual and the ship's specific guidelines.
Common list of actions is as follows:
- Release the MOB lifebuoy from the bridge.
- Start executing Williamson Turn.
- Raise the MOB alarm on ship’s bell and whistle.
- Plot the position.
- Press MOB button on GPS or ECDIS.
- Inform Master.
- Ask for extra lookout, never lose sight of that person.
- Inform sight leader about the emergency.
- Inform Engine Room to change to manoeuvring speed.
- Engage Manual Steering.
- If require assistance from other ships then make an Urgency Broadcast on channel 16 (156.8MHz).
02 Sep '18, 18:12