Why Main Air compressor (piston type) trips by overload on startup?
14 Dec '18, 11:06
There may be few causes:
- Motor winding shorted to each other or to the casing (ground). Check windings resistance and conduct Megger test.
- El. Motor rotor stuck due to failed bearings. Check for free rotation, replace bearings.
- Unloader valve(s) failed to unload cylinders at startup causing increased current flow through compressor. Check valves.
- Nonreturn valves on the air delivery line leaking. Air escapes from air bottles back into the compressor. Compressor cant start against pressure and trips.
- Piston(s) seized. Disassemble and inspect piston rings and liners.
14 Dec '18, 11:20