What is the correct procedure of plugging the leaking tube of water-tube boiler? Should the firewall be arranged?
25 Jul '19, 16:54
First of all, if leakage is minor or there is no time o plug the boiler tube in the correct way, the leak may be welded. Depending on the hole size and location, a welding build-up or doubler may be required.
If decision was made to plug the tube, the general procedure is as follows:
- Drain and cool down the boiler
- Plug the tube from the water/stem drums side. Plugs may be inserted from the gas side as well after step 3.
- Half cut plugged water tube
- Put stoppers or seal plates from the gas side in the top and bottom of the cut pipe. Weld stoppers/seal plates to seal the steam and water drums.
- Fabricate L - shaped anchors 50 mm X 50 mm @ 90 degrees
- Weld anchors to the remaining wall of tube that was half-cut
- Make a fire wall - apply refractory cement over anchors of tube being repaired. Standard type is Pribrico Super AB
- Fix the burner and run the fan continuously for the time stated in the refractory material manual
- Slowly warm up the boiler as per the maker’s recommendations.
25 Jul '19, 16:58