The following is the new requirement of the new CDI questionnaire edition 9
3.1.78 *VDR equipment is tested and, when possible the complete retention of data, is verified to insure operation of the system. Some authorities require testing on a more frequent basis than the annual service. Ship-specific procedures should be in place regarding this testing program, and records should be available to confirm completion of the testing as per the procedure*.
It is required that apart the annual VDR ashore testing service, the ship should have a procedure for on board of VDR testing.
On what may consist the on board testing of VDR ? knowing that ship' staff are not specialized to carry out the full test as this job required the maker representative.
08 Oct '19, 13:12
Based on delivery Manual and Inspection Data for Voyage Data Recorder, the following checklist may be suggested for routine testing of the VDR:
- There should be a procedure for backing up the VDR data, backups are done as stated.
- Check the system operation by confirming the LEDs pattern (which of them ON or OFF) of units corresponds to the normal operation pattern (usually described in the VDR manual)
- Any errors displayed on VDR system units should be properly recorded with the time and date of occurrence.
- Turn off the main AC power, the VDR should automatically change over to battery power
- Turn on the main AC power, the system should automatically change over to normal supply
- Check the RCU battery expiration date.
- Self-check of results of NMEA sentence reception should pass
09 Oct '19, 08:57