The following is a Major specific requirement “Additionally to the ESD valve test required by applicable Gas code, a pressure test against these valves must be done at least annually and results recorded.”
One of our LPG vessel's received an observation during a vetting inspection basis on the above specific requirement of the Major.
Would appreciate if you can guide us how to make a pressure test against ESD valve.
27 Feb '20, 08:02
Pressure test against ESD valve may be done in the form of Leak test:
- initially ESD valves should be opened
- ensure that the manual valve before manifolds is closed and pressure is 0 bar at the manifolds
- ensure that there is a pressure in the discharge line
- activate ESD. All ESD valves must close
- open the valve from discharge line to the manifolds. The pressure at the manifold should be 0 and not rising for at least 30 minutes, which means ESD valves are tight.
In my company, the testing of ESD valves is regularly carried out during the pre-arrival preparations and after manifold connection in the form of Leak tests .The same is logged. Additionally cargo line pressure test is conducted during every dry dock along with pressure testing of ESD valves.
To avoid/clear the observation, above mentioned have to be pointed out to the inspector with objective evidence. Have pressure test certificates from the last dry docking ready along with pre-arrival checklists.
28 Feb '20, 14:21