What is purpose of winch brake testing?
04 Nov '20, 21:54
The main purpose of brake testing is to verify that the brake will render at a lower load than the ship design MBL. OCIMF recommends that brakes should be set at 60% of the ship design MBL.
Each winch brake should be tested:
• Before the ship's delivery.
• Annually, as recommended in the International Safety Guide for Oil Tankers and Terminals (ISGOTT).
• After completion of any modification.
• After completion of any maintenance.
• Where there is evidence of premature brake slippage or related malfunctions.
04 Nov '20, 21:57