How to carry out pipeline hydro test?
30 Sep '21, 20:29
Test bunker transfer piping (and hoses if applicable) to 150% MAWP (rated working pressure) in 30 months intervals. USCG requires this test annually.
Refer to Chemical / Petroleum tanker manual for testing cargo pipe lines.
Refer to the maker's manual of the system / test pump for hydraulic test specifications.
Caution: Testing procedures for specific pipelines may require a deviation from the procedure. Agree on procedure with the Technical Superintendent if this is the case.
- Correctly identify pipeline and pressure test required
- Close branch valves to isolate tanks
- Blank safety valves
- Fill line gradually with the medium common to the system
- Slowly vent line as necessary
- Pressurize the line using an accumulator hand pump
- Monitor static pressure in pipeline for 10 minutes
- Visually inspect pipeline
- Drain line after testing
- Plan repairs if necessary
- Record all pressure tests in the respective deck and engine log book, their corresponding oil record books and PMS.
30 Sep '21, 20:32