What Second Engineer does on board?
25 Mar '22, 18:23
Second Engineer is the deputy Chief Engineer and responsible for maintenance planning and supervision in ER department. Performs the duties of a chief engineer in his absence.
The Second Engineer is responsible to the Chief Engineer for:
- proper condition of the ER before departure;
- organization and supervision of ER watch;
- compliance with safety regulations and the implementation of safe working practices;
- prevention of environmental pollution;
- repair and maintenance in Engine room;
- follows the instructions of the Chief Engineer with regards to maintenance and repairs;
- keeps watch from 00.00 to 04.00 and from 12.00 to 16.00 (if ER can not be unmanned).
Usually responsible for condition and maintenance of the following equipment:
- main engine, pumps and systems serving it, remote automated control;
- air conditioning plant;
- refrigeration plant and storage chambers;
- fire pumps, emergency fire unit, foam and water extinguishing systems, CO2;
- ballast system with pumps;
- ME lub oil separators and lubricant separation systems;
- automation of control mechanisms;
- emergency bilge system;
- sea water cooling system and sea chests;
- steering gear;
- sterntube, shaft line;
- oily water separator;
- store rooms, inventory of supplies, tools and spare parts, workshop equipment;
- maintenance of all fixed fire-fighting and safety equipment in engine rooms (emergency generator, CO2 or similar installation, emergency and fire pumps, etc.).
- provides and conducts training (training) of the engine team at the direction of the Chief Engineer;
- any other duties as directed by the Chief Engineer.
26 Mar '22, 18:32